Titles that we recommend are featured below with cover images. The ones with reviews are noted with an asterisk (*). Some titles are recommended with a caveat. At the end of this page, we provide a list of titles on this theme, with reviews, that we do not recommend.
We also recommend this article by Kara Hinderlie in Rethinking Schools, Black is Beautiful and this excerpt from the book Anti-Bias Education for Young Children and Ourselves by Louise Derman-Sparks and Julie Olsen Edwards, Teaching Young Children about Race: A Guide for Parents and Teachers.
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
- Lovable Lyle by Bernard Waber
- My Many Colored Days by Dr. Seuss
- We Are a Garden by Lisa Westberg Peters
- The World Needs More Purple People by Kristen Bell, Benjamin Hart
Most of the books on these lists are linked for more information or purchase to Bookshop (an indie bookstore platform) and / or Powells.com (an independent, unionized bookstore). A small percentage from book sales through these links goes to Teaching for Change.