This list is by Debbie Reese of American Indians in Children's Literature (AICL). AICL provides critical perspectives and analysis of indigenous peoples in children's and young adult books, the school curriculum, popular culture, and society. Visit the AICL website and subscribe to the AICL blog for many more recommendations (including a list of best books), critical reviews, and current news. We also encourage you to read:
- Native Writers Sign Letter Submitted for US House Committee Hearing
- Tips for Teachers: Developing Instructional Materials about American Indians
- Creating a Library Atmosphere that Welcomes American Indians
- Milestones: Indigenous Peoples and Children's Literature
- Critical Indigenous Literacies: Selecting and Using Children’s Books about Indigenous Peoples
- Native American Literature in Your Classroom
- Worksheet for Selecting Native American Children’s Literature
- Heartdrum Educator Guide
- "Debbie, can you recommend some books about Thanksgiving?"
Most of the books on these lists are linked for more information or purchase to Bookshop (an indie bookstore platform) and / or Powells.com (an independent, unionized bookstore). A small percentage from book sales through these links goes to Teaching for Change.
Titles with reviews on this site are noted with an asterisk (*).